Companies affiliated
with Consorzio “Friuli Colli Orientali e Ramandolo”

The Municipalities of the Colli Orientali (eastern hills) of Friuli

ATTIMIS

The “Museo dei Castelli” (Castle Museum), inaugurated in 1999, is the pride of this locality, housing the artefacts of many excavations carried out in the 1990s at the fort sites of Attimis Inferiore, Attimis Superiore and Partistagno. In this village, the impressive remains of a famous castle dating back to the year 1100 – destroyed a century later by order of the emperor of Germany, who wanted to overthrow the resistance of the feudal family of the same name – have been recently restored and made accessible to visitors.

View details Municipality >>

BUTTRIO

Documents from before the year 1000 date the origins of Buttrio back to the years from 800 to 900, although a Roman settlement found in the village of Caminetto is evidence that these hills – the first hills south-east of Udine, along the route to Gorizia – had been inhabited since earlier times. There is no doubt that during the course of history, the life of its inhabitants was initially disturbed by several barbarian invasions and then by wars between feudal nobles.

View details Municipality >>

CIVIDALE DEL FRIULI

Documents from before the year 1000 date the origins of Buttrio back to the years from 800 to 900, although a Roman settlement found in the village of Caminetto is evidence that these hills – the first hills south-east of Udine, along the route to Gorizia – had been inhabited since earlier times. There is no doubt that during the course of history, the life of its inhabitants was initially disturbed by several barbarian invasions and then by wars between feudal nobles.

View details Municipality >>

CORNO DI ROSAZZO

This village, located at the mouth of the valley of the river Corno, a tributary of the Judrio, may have acquired its name from two plant species that must have been very common here in ancient times, the cornelian cherry and the rose.
The earliest evidence of its existence dates back to Roman times, since Corno was situated on the intersection of a road that connected the port of Aquileia to Pannonia, passing through Cormòns, Cividale and the Julian Alps. Also here, it is assumed that settlements of Celtic populations existed before Caesar’s legions arrived, however, it was the Romans – as in many other places in the “Colli Orientali del Friuli” – who developed vine growing, which now thrives on the slopes of Noax and Gramogliano.

View details Municipality >>

FAEDIS

The place-name Faedis (from fagetum, namely, beech wood) and a Domitian sestertius (Roman coin), unearthed in about 1930 during excavations for the construction of the new church, suggest that this village is probably of Roman origin, even though it was documented for the first time around the year 1000. The surrounding area is home to some charming historical remains: noteworthy ones include the ruins of three medieval castles, Zucco, Cuccagna and Soffumbergo. But among the green woods and vineyards, crossed by many streams descending from the hills, we can also find the ruins of medieval forts and some interesting examples of Renaissance architecture.

View details Municipality >>

MANZANO

Situated on the banks of the river Natisone, surrounded by green hills, Manzano can rightly be proud of its wine production, and in particular of what is one of the most important locations for viticulture in Friuli: the Abbey of Rosazzo.
This magnificent architectural complex, dating back to the year 1000 and destroyed and rebuilt several times, was one of the few centres that preserved the local winemaking heritage in medieval times thanks to the work of Benedictine and Dominican monks.

View details Municipality >>

NIMIS

A Celtic settlement since the 3rd century BC, home to an important Roman fort (Castrum Nemas) a few decades before the Christian era, Nimis can proudly boast one of the oldest religious buildings in Friuli, the parish church of Santi Gervasio e Protasio, built around the 8th century and rebuilt – in its present form – between the 11th and 12th centuries.
In the area between Nimis and Tarcento, the vineyards are located on the sunny gentle hills of Friuli. This is where Ramandolo DOCG is made. This white meditation wine is definitely unique: it is elegant, aromatic and full-bodied, with a perfect balance of acidity, sweetness and tannins.

View details Municipality >>

POVOLETTO

Povoletto is a fairly large municipality. Bordering to the south-west with the city of Udine, it extends along the two sides of the river Torre, initially on the plain – with the chief town and hamlets of Salt and Grions – and then climbs gently to the north-east, where small villages are nestled in fertile hills. Far from the busy streets, but well-served by the local road network that leads to Udine and Cividale, Povoletto is situated in a quiet and peaceful landscape, enlivened by many streams, which, descending from the hills, flow into the river Torre.
It is not clear whether the name Povoletto derives from “pioppeto” (poplar wood) or from the Latin pabuletum (pasture); with its three poplar trees, the municipal coat of arms embraces the former of the two assumptions. The ruins of Savorgnano Castle are testimony that its origins date back to before the year 1000.
The woods and meadows, from which the village gets its name, are still there but much space has been given over to the more profitable cultivation of vines, particularly in the hamlets of Magredis, Ravosa, Savorgnano, Bellazoia and Marsure, where excellent spirits are also made.

View details Municipality >>

PREMARIACCO

The most accredited origin of the name Premariacco derives from “Praedium Mari”, namely, “possession of Mario”. According to legend, Mario was one of the Roman soldiers (who later turned into peaceful settlers) who guarded the bridge over the river Natisone, a vital access point to Cividale from the south. Today, the bridge is stilled called “Ponte Romano”, crossing the river where it passes through rocks, in an environmental setting (the southern stretch of the Natisone gorge) of exceptional beauty.

View details Municipality >>

PREPOTTO

The municipality of Prepotto is situated in the hills south-east of Cividale, close to the border with Slovenia. Here, at an altitude of 618 metres asl, the famous Marian sanctuary of Castelmonte is located. Today, the sacred building, overlooking the medieval fortress village, is still a destination for thousands of pilgrims from all over Friuli and the neighbouring regions.
Currently, in the municipality of Prepotto, and in the nearby hamlet of Albana, Schioppettino grapes are grown, a native grape variety of Friuli with its origins in this territory.

View details Municipality >>

REANA DEL ROJALE

The municipality overlooks the Carnic and Julian Pre-Alps and comprises eight villages: Reana, Qualso, Zompitta, Cortale, Vergnacco, Valle, Remugnano (the municipal headquarters), Ribis and Rizzolo.

In the 13th century, a settlement known as Verniacum, corresponding to the current hamlet of Vergnacco, was documented in this area. The church of Santi Tommaso e Marco is confirmed as existing in a document dated 1360.

View details Municipality >>

SAN GIOVANNI AL NATISONE

Although there is no scientific evidence, it is almost certain that in Roman times two settlements (resting places) of some importance existed in this area, which were crossed by the road going from Aquileia to Cividale. Of one of these, Modoletto, only the name remains, referred to in ancient documents of the patriarchal period. The other settlement, first documented in 1070, when the “hills of San Giovanni” were donated by the Patriarch of Aquileia to the Abbey of Rosazzo, is now known as San Giovanni al Natisone, an important centre for woodworking and high-quality viticulture.

View details Municipality >>

TARCENTO

Nestled on the slopes of the Chiampon, Stella and Bernadia mountains, Tarcento is on the northern edge of the “Colli Orientali del Friuli” territory. Between the light blue stretch of the Musi mountain chain and the clear waters of the river Torre, the “pearl of Friuli”, as it has been happily called, is set among the hills covered in vineyards and woods. The area is scattered with villages where the inhabitants preserve the recognisable and genuine cuisine, values, language and traditions. Due to its pleasant climate, the Tarcento area has always been an ideal holiday destination for those who love the countryside.
The signs of the past (the name of Tarcento has been recorded since 1126 in various documents regarding a feudal donation, but prehistoric and later Roman traces can be found at various sites) embellish an environment rich in natural attractions. The “Cjscjelat” (small castle) on the hill of Coia and the village of Villafredda in Loneriacco date back to medieval times.

View details Municipality >>

TORREANO

If Cividale del Friuli, just a few kilometres from Torreano, was founded by Julius Caesar, it is highly likely that Torreano is of similar origin, when the territory was entrusted to a Roman centurion called Taurius. He settled in the village just like other centurions and soldiers and had the task of guarding the area while providing a livelihood (growing wheat, vines and olives) for Forum Julii. Evidence of this ancient agricultural tradition takes the form of artefacts from Roman times found in in the hamlet of Canalutto, including a millstone for wheat. Much older finds – testimony of human settlements dating back to the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Age – have been found in the caves north of the village of Prestento.

View details Municipality >>

TRICESIMO

Situated at the foot of the first morainic hills formed by the ancient Tagliamento glacier, Tricesimo preserves its name of Roman origin, Ad Tricensimum lapidem, which literally means “at the 30th milestone”. The name therefore identified the first resting place located at the thirtieth mile along the road that led from Aquileia to Julium Carnicum, today known as Zuglio, and to Norico, the consular road known as Via Julia Augusta, along which two villages now recall the ancient stopping places: Terzo, three Roman miles from Aquileia, and Tricesimo, thirty miles away.

Over the centuries, Tricesimo passed under the Patriarchate of Aquileia and then became a feudal estate owned by the Counts Valentinis until the Napoleonic conquest. From then onwards, it experienced the historical events of the rest of Friuli.

View details Municipality >>

The area of the Colli Orientali of Friuli

Companies in the Consortium

La-tunella-logo
Montressor-logo
Rocca-bernarda-logo
Emarcora-logo
Fiore-dei-liberi-logo
Teresa-raiz-logo
Caronesca-logo
Marco-sara-logo
Maurizio-zaccomer-logo
fattor-logo
Sara-e.sara-logo
Acquila-del-torre-logo
Pittaro-logo
fantinel-logo
toblar-logo
Petris-logo
giovanni-dri-il-roncat-logo
I-comelli-logo
Ronco-delle-betulle-logo
dario-coos-logo
Annaberra-logo
Comelli-Andrea-logo
Ronco-margherita-logo
Ronc-de-bianc-logo
Livio-felluga-logo
villa-de-puppi-logo
Midolini-logo
Le-vigne-di-zamo-logo
LOGO-PETRIGH
logo-bertossi
logo-cecchini
az-agr-mosolo
Logo-accordini
logo-giavitto
logo-celledoni
logo-Comelli-
logo-zof
logo-specogna
Grudina-logo
Logo-ronc-dai-luchis
logo-visentini
logo Solder
logo-le-vigne-del-norest
LogoCanus
logo-I-clivi
Logo-Alberice
logo-cadibon
logo-perusini
logo_collavini
logo_rubini
logo_gigante
logo-Butussi
ronchi-san-giuseppe
San-Paolino
logo
MOSCHIONI-logo
LaSclusa-Logo

logo_il_roncal

Logo-Scarbolo
flaibani_nero
logo-cozzarolo
Domenis-logo
logo-tavagnacco
bastianich_logo
logo-angoris
logo-alturis
logo-zorzettig
logo-arzeton
logo-magnolia
logo-negro
logo-grappolo-d'oro
logo_Meroi
logo borgo-dei-sapori
logo
logo-tami
logo-petrucco
Valdomini-logo
logo-buiatti
terra-e-vini-logo
Logo-rodaro
borgo-judro-logo
Bernadis
Colutta-Gianpaolo-logo
Jacuss-logo
Micossi-logo
Talis-logo
Da-duline-logo
Guerra-albano-logo
Ronco-del-gnemiz-logo
Di-gasparo-logo
Villa-berla-logo
Cantarutti-logo
Casa-shangri-logo
Vignaiuoli-toti-logo
Vigna-traverso-logo
Vigna.petrussa-logo
Ronco-severo-logo
Giovanni-venica-logo
Ronc-sorelli-logo
Venica-bruno-logo
Ronco-dei-pini-logo
Ronchi-di-cialla
Pizzulin-logo
La-viarte-logo
Marinig-logo
Petrussa-logo
La-bus-dal-lof-logo
bodigoi-logo
Stanig-logo
Grillo-iole-logo
Antico-broilo-logo
Scubla-logo
Colle-dei-poianis-logo

Socialwall